Friday, September 12, 2008

Nu-U Fitness


The MOG Blog would like to welcome Meagan Rodriguez, a Certified Personal Trainer and the CEO/President of Nu-U Fitness. Today we will showcase her bio. Look for more information from Meagan on how to create a Nu-U!

I am a Certified Personal Trainer through National Exercise and Sports Trainers Association (NESTA). Despite my youth, I have spent half a decade in the fitness career field. I am a current student at the University of Incarnate Word in San Antonio, Texas, pursuing a degree in Sports Management.

I have extensive experience in Pilates instruction, nutrition and supplementation, group exercise as well as one-on-one personal training for fat loss and muscle gain. I understand and focus on the importance of fitness at any age, and I also specialize in training seniors (60+) for increased lean body mass, fat loss, flexibility, circulation, bone strength, mobility and endurance.

I am an accomplished World Natural Sports Organization Fitness Model, promotional model, former competitive swimmer and spent most of my teen years as a professional horse trainer. I am involved in health initiatives locally as an active committee member for the San Antonio Diabetes Committee, a passion that emerged from the recent diagnosis of my father's Type II Diabetes. I am also creating the pilot progressive fitness program for the children of Harlendale ISD so that they may excel in the Texas state required FitGram Test. I am also a spokes person for Go Girl Go of the San Antonio Women’s Sports Foundation and speak on body image.

I especially want to help girls and women to develop a positive body image and to give correct information on nutrition and physical fitness that is easy to apply and understand. Unfortunately, this world has a distorted view of being healthy and beautiful; normally those don’t go hand in hand. This brings me to wanting to shed light on eating disorders, because it is a taboo subject more so now than ever. I want to reach out to those that are suffering from eating disorders because I have gone through one myself and have recovered from bulimia. When I say eating disorders I mean anorexia, bulimia, and over eating, because over eating and being obese is an eating disorder as well as the others commonly associated with that label.

I also take interest in psychomotor development and inclusion of physical activity within society. I want to help bridge the gap of including people with disabilities into “normalcy” as far as physical activity is concerned. I feel that past views have kept certain individuals from really reaching their true potential in any physical activity.
But most of all I hope to help and inspire any one that I come in contact with to achieve a better, “Nu’er” them!